Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Singing In The Rain

A chance of rain was supposed to happen today so I woke up and turned on the weather channel while getting ready for work. The reason why rain concerns me is because my Jeep has a soft top and it has been down since last Thursday. It's been nice and hot everyday and I've enjoyed the open air during my long drives.

So the weather guy this morning says 30 percent chance of rain, "no need to cancel your plans because if there is rain, not everyone is going to get it." I got ready for work, went out to the garage, opened the garage door and looked at the sky. It looked pretty gray in the west, I figured there was a decent chance I'd see a few drops so I decided to put the top up but not put in any of the windows. On a Jeep this means, the only thing around you protecting you from the elements is the windshield.

Twenty minutes into my trip and I'm in the middle of a typhoon. The sun completely disappeared so it's pitch black except for the occasional flicker of death-lightning lighting my way. The rain is hitting the road so hard, SUVs are pulling under bridges and on the shoulder because they can't see to drive. Wimps. What's bad for a convertible is when it rains not only does the rain fall on the outside of the windshield, it hits the inside too and the only internal windshield wiper I have is my hand. In addition to the downpour that's pushing people off the road, the streamline winds are not allowing the rain to fall in the normal gravitational direction of, you know, straight down. Instead it's going sideways and hitting me on the face soaking the right side of my whole body. My passenger seat has amassed a small puddle of water, my dash is splashed with tiny water droplets. 30 percent huh? I've never getting my weather from them again. By mid morning, the whole city (over 200 square miles) was hit by strong storms. Idiots! That weather report was only 30 minutes old!

Despite my wet encounter this morning, that's only the second worse time I've been caught in heavy rain while driving my Jeep. I love it.