Thursday, August 21, 2003

Tapped Bumper

On my way in to work this morning, I was stopped on a highway on-ramp. Rush hour traffic in my area can really get backed up so I'm half way down the ramp, completely stopped. Everyone else is too as the cars ahead are looking for a place to merge onto the highway. I have the top down on the Jeep so I can hear everything going on around me and I heard a crunch behind me. I looked in the rear view mirror to see what it was and I was sure the car behind me just got rear ended. It wasn't hard enough to send the driver into me thankfully but I couldn't see any damage since we were all packed in close. I wasn't even sure the two cars behind me were the ones involved.

I figured the two would pull over on the shoulder once traffic got moving. Traffic did get moving, but the car behind me kept driving like nothing happened. We're going down the ramp and the car that caused the accident started tapping his horn notifying the guy he hit that they should pull over and exchange insurance information. But the car behind me ignored all of that and merged onto the highway as if nothing happened. Apparently he was in a hurry or wasn't concerned about the damage.

Once we were moving I could finally see the damage done on the car that caused the accident. He had a giant dent in the hood and it made me laugh because he couldn't get the guy he hit to pull over.