Monday, April 04, 2005

A Father/Daughter Moment In The Morning

A Father/Daughter Moment In The Morning

I got up this morning to get ready for work. Baby Lock was in bed with us on the other side of Mrs. Lock and using her food source as a pillow. STOP! Think about that. I'll wait... Looks like they both fell asleep during one of the night feedings.

Baby needed changed so I took her into the nursery to get a fresh diaper on her. She felt me pick her up and started to wiggle and fuss a little. She shakes her head back and forth, throws her hands up into her face, sticks her tongue out. She even turns a little red and makes these duck noises to let anyone know who might be listening that she's uncomfortable. She's still asleep though, the reactions are only semi-conscious.

I got her outfit off of her, had the new diaper out ready to swap it for the full one but Baby finally pulled herself out of her slumber. I halted what I was doing to try and catch her attention as she woke up. I wanted to be the first thing she saw this morning (although technically the first thing she probably saw this morning was a nipple).

So those baby eyes opened, looked around the room for a second to take in her surroundings and eventually locked onto my face. A face that was directly in front of hers about 12 inches away. She looked at me. Her expression went to confusion - that furrowed brow, narrowing of the eyes as one focuses on its target looking for some sort of recognition and importance to whatever one is staring at. She held that expression for a full five seconds (a long time to stare at someone in silence), and I saw it happen. She finally recognized her target as her father (or at least some guy who hangs around her a lot) and that complete facial expression changed to utter glee - big smile, eyes smiling, mouth open wide in a mock-laughter (nothing pearly to flash as far as teeth but those gums deliver the message). She's happy to see me. I'm happy to see her. I make some faces to get her to giggle then I finish the job I brought her in here to do.

That brief interaction set the tone for my whole day.

Market:
DJI 10460, NASDAQ 1999, SP5 1181

#1 Movie at the box office:
Sin City

Last movie I saw at the theater:
Sin City

Last movie(s) I saw not at the theater:
Cat In The Hat
Employee Of The Month
Freddy vs. Jason

Books I'm currently reading:
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
Don't Panic by Neil Gaiman

Albums (cd/mp3) I'm listening to:
Eagles Greatest Hits I & II
Moby - Hotel

Video games I'm playing:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Doom 3 for Xbox