Monday, July 07, 2003

Courtesy Flush

I learned about the courtesy flush from the movie The Brothers McMullen. A courtesy flush is used when you are on the toilet doing your business, and after that first drop, you flush it away before you're done to cut down on the odor in the bathroom. The alternative is to let the log sit there for the 20 minutes or however long you take, stinking up the joint. It's very useful when you don't want the person using the bathroom after you thinking you're a sick wookie that had garbage for lunch.

Someone suggested in a new method recently, unrelated to the goals of the courtesy flush but for the practice of hygiene. He said toilet users need to urinate, flush, then defecate (such a lovely word). The idea is that when you drop one and splash up occurs, you can avoid your bum becoming awash with pee. I'm still considering that one. I've never had a problem with it before and not sure I can set that habit. You could drop first then urinate, but I don't think many people can hold it in their bladder that long while they clean their bowels.

If you're into this sort of stuff, might I recommend The RE/Search Guid to Bodily Fluids by Paul Spinard. It's a good read, especially in the bathroom.

CDs in my stereos: None
Last movie I saw at theater: The Hulk
Last movie I saw at home: Man In The Moon