I had a switch fail in my network at work last week. All of the connections going into it just went poof. I scrambled to find a backup, all I could find was an old hub which only ran at 10 Mb/s and half duplex. The network was overloaded. I had to take a few runs down for the night until my company could overnight me a new switch.
So I got the replacement the next morning, why it's a 10 Mb/s half duplex hub! Wow, thanks guys. I found a 100 Mb/s switch running a lone workstation in a room that's hardly ever used. So I disconnected it, brought it to the server room and used that as my new replacement. Only problem is it only has eight ports. My original configuration used ten so I had to deem two connections unnecessary and leave them out of the switch over. It turned out those two connections were my PC and my printer. I put the replacement hub that was sent to me in the room I borrowed the switch from. It will do ok in that location.
Not having my PC on the network anymore shouldn't be a problem as long as corporate can ship me yet another replacement before the following Monday when I need the PC on the network to collect their data for them, burn it to CD and ship it back. Well it's a new fiscal year and guess what? They can't buy any new hardware until later next month. Well crap. Monday rolled around and I had to find some way to get a 200 Mb data file off of one of the machines, get it to my PC and burn it to CD. I grabbed my old 10 Mb/s hub, plugged it in, quickly pulled a connection out of the 100 Mb/s switch, a connection that really wasn't running anything too important and jammed it into the 10 Mb/s hub. Then I ran a short cat-5 cable from the 10 Mb/s hub down to the newly open port on the 100 Mb/s, now I have a node to plug my PC and printer in to even if it is only 10 Mb/s. Got the data and at a horrendous 1/10th of the speed I'm used to (took a full minute to transfer as opposed to six seconds). Can't wait for my replacement switch to get in. I can't work with these speeds.
More problems. Sunday one of the servers crashed. What's worse is it was the NIS master on a network that the machines use NFS to get their login, accounts and directory structure from (Solaris network). When it went down, they all locked up. It looks like it just ran out of memory. It had been running for 110 days straight. You should see the software I have to run on these servers - memory leak city. 110 days is impressive. I suppose I should reboot the others ones before they go.
On top of all my issues I am trying to install a new version of software of one of the runs, have it configured and running by this Thursday for a visit from Corporate. It is fun to be under the gun.
Sorry blog for not writing to you, but you understand.
DJI 9261, SP5 994, NASDAQ 1794