Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I Know You Because I've Seen You Sleep

I love studies, especially studies on human behavior and personality. I use cues to read people, even if they are unaware that they're giving anything away about themselves so this sleeping study piqued my interest. I don't get to see a lot of people sleep but it was interesting anyway.

A British sleep expert says your personality can be determined by the sleeping position you take.

Fetal position is the most common. It is associated with shy and sensitive personalities.

Soldier position which is flat on your back, with arms at your side are quiet and reserved.

The log position which is sleeping on your side with legs stretched out and arms down indicates social, easy-going personality. If the arms are stretched straight out away from you in this position, you tend to be more suspicious.

The freefall position which has you flat on your stomach and hands at the side of your head, which is how I always start out when going to sleep, is the most unusual position. Only 6.5% prefer it and it generally means you are brash and seeking the company of others, especially those of your own kind.

Starfish position which puts you on your back, arms and legs stretched out, which is where I end up by the time I wake up, means you are a good listener.

So apparently I want to be brash and gregarious but I ultimately end up being a good listener. I think I actually hit all of these positions at some point during the sleep, so that must make me Cybil.

Now you know.