Friday, July 29, 2005

What Kind of Government Do We Actually Have?

What Kind of Government Do We Actually Have?

Here I have a blog I've kept for years. I had a daughter who was born almost six months ago and all I can talk about lately is politics instead of talking about how happy she makes me. Perhaps, having a child causes me to reflect more on what kind of future she might have and I'm reminded of my responsibility as a parent to make sure she can have the best life that can be available to her.

So politics. I was looking at a portion of the Communist Manifesto the other day and it is in outline form. That Karl Marx text that was the ideas behind creating communist governments in the U.S.S.R. among some other satellite countries. The Manifesto has headers, or chapters if you will labeled as "planks," ten planks in all. As I was reading through the planks I noticed some similarities with a certain form of government which is still around today, and I'm not talking about Cuba, China or N. Korea.

I list the title of the Communist Manifesto plank followed by some information concerning our U.S. government. You draw your own conclusions.

4th Plank: Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels

High court OKs personal property seizures
Friday, June 24, 2005; WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses -- even against their will -- for private economic development.


6th Plank: Centralization of the means of communications and transportation in the hands of the State.

FCC formed in 1934; FAA, 1958; NTSB, 1967; Department of Transportation, 1966; Interstate Highway System, 1944

10th Plank: Free education for all children in public schools.

Do I need to cite examples here?