Friday, December 09, 2005

Odometer Milestone

Odometer Milestone

100,000 miles on my Jeep. This is the first car I've had since its birth. I think it had 13 miles on it when I bought it from the dealer in August 1999. Just over six years later, I turned over the 100,000th mile on it. It happened today at 10:18a on 465 south right at 38th street, west side, in a territory where everything is covered in white.

A blizzard blew through the night before that made my drive home from work four and half hours long! When I wasn't frustrated, I was bored. I even got a tired and hungry. Then I started eyeing my falling gas gauge needle that told me I shouldn't leave my car running all night in 4 wheel drive and the defroster left on high to defog the windshield. But I finally made it home.

So, 100,000 miles. I watched it flip, then a semi cut me off. I honked my horn in celebration and maybe a little at the truck driver who probably never heard me. I cheered. I laughed. I cried. I don't want my Jeep to break down on me now.

The last car I owned was an 82 CJ7. I bought it with 125,000 miles on it. I put it at 170,000ish until I sold it and got the Wrangler I have now.

The car I had before that was a Hyundai POC. It may have had about 100,000 miles on it when I bought it off some college kid for $900 cash. I probably put about 5,000 on it before I blew the engine. Replaced that engine and blew it out again within a few months. Then I sold it for scrap for $100.

The car before that was an 86 Topaz (Mercury's version of the Ford Tempo). Great car. Fast, zippy, solid. Until the clutch went out. Gave it back to my parents and then rode a bike everywhere.

Looking forward to 200,000.