Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Technological Dependency

Technological Dependency

I went over to my brother's last Saturday for my nephew's one year birthday party. I took my laptop with me to show my family some pictures I had taken and loaded onto the machine. My Mom got a hold of the laptop, started playing around with it and then asked me why she couldn't get on the Internet like she could when using it at my house.

I wanted to laugh. My initial thought was to answer "Well my house is 45 miles away and I can't find a router strong enough to broadcast that distance." But instead I gave a very polite and non-condescending explanation of how WiFi works.

It makes me think of how easily we use machines that we don't have an understanding of how they work. I don't know how a combustible engine really works, but I can depend on my car to get me to my destination and I really don't care how it does it.