Friday, June 13, 2003

Chain Reactions

This excerpt is taken from the July 2003 issue of Wired in an article titled We're All Gonna Die!.

"Before the detonation of the first atomic bomb at Trinity Site in 1945, Robert Oppenheimer worried that the unprecedented heat might spark a fusion chain reaction in the atmosphere. Physicist Hans Bethe performed calculations proving the planet wouldn't ignite, and the test went ahead."

Well good for them.

This issue also has a fascinating piece titled Slammed! on the inner workings of a virus. Check out how a 376 byte program (not 376 kbyte) took down the Internet for a day.

You can always tell when I get my new Wired. I start talking about its articles here.


CD in the car stereo: Nothing
Last movie I saw at theater: The Italian Job
Last movie I saw at home: Crazy/Beautiful