Thursday, August 26, 2004

Fun With The English Speaker

Fun With The English Speaker

A couple of days ago, I went into La Bamba's to get some dinner. I like to order in Spanish and shoot the breeze with the staff with my very limited vocabulario de español. But I've been in there so many times, they already know what I want and they go to work on my sandwich as soon as I hit the door. But if I did have to order, it would go something like this.

"Una torta pollo. No tomates, no cebollas," I would theoretically say (and have said in the past).

This is a reply I actually got last time.

"¿Deseas una cerveza?"

I thought for a second as I tried to translate. He repeated it.

"¿Deseas una cerveza?"

"Are you asking me if I want a beer?" I asked.

"Yes," the patron said.

"Do you even have beer?"

"No."

Then he and the guy frying up my torta had a laugh.

¡Qué Bromistas!