Monday, April 26, 2004

Republican, Democrat, Sophomoric

Republican, Democrat, Sophomoric

I had this huge essay written out on the topic I'm about to mention, but then it occurred to me that I may not know what I'm talking about, especially on this particular subject so
I chucked it all and am going to start over keeping K.I.S.S in mind. I didn't mean for the original draft to be long but I kept thinking of things I wanted to say and before I knew it, I created a monster. More isn't always better.

So, here is the very abridged version.

It seems to me the two major political parties in the United States contradict their own policies. The Republican party supports a smaller government but since this is the party the religious right in this country mainly aligns itself with, they also want to tell us how to live our lives, that whole family values thing. Make abortion, gay marriage and flag burning illegal (constitutional amendments no less!), while keeping school prayer and the whole pledge of allegiance legal, in some cases even mandatory.

The Democratic party wants a big government, more taxes for social programs to support group rights over individual rights, yet they are socially liberal which means they don't want to tell us how to live - just freedom from the governments nosiness and a dip into the tax payer's nickel to possibly improve the life of the guys who don't have a nickel. But you can't have a big government and not have that beast tempted to turn the state into a dictatorship. Ronald Reagan said, "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away."

So I can't pick a party even if I wanted to. They're confused and don't know what they want. I am socially liberal and politically conservative. What party is that? The Republicrats? Demolicans? Actually, I think that means I'm approaching anarchy.

Yes, that was the short version.