Sunday, May 21, 2006

The First in Technology Firsts

I was not the first person I knew to use the Internet.
I was the first person I knew to load a website.
I was the first person I knew to have a website.
I was not the first person I knew to use Usenet.
I was not the first person I knew to use IRC.
I was not the first person I knew to play a Mud.
I was not the first person I knew to use Gopher.
I was not the first person I knew to have a PC desktop.
I was the first person I knew to have two PC desktops.
I was the first person I knew to have networked PCs.
I was the first person I knew to use a thinnet (10baseT) network. Ahhh terminators.
I was the first person I knew to decrypt passwd acounts with password cracker tools.
I was the first person I knew to use ICQ.
I was the first person I knew to use Yahoo Messenger.
I was the first person I knew to use eBay.
I was the first person I knew to use Google.
I was the first person I knew to run a dedicated PC gaming server.
I was the first person I knew to configure a firewall.
I was not the first person I knew to use a DVR.
I was not the first person I knew to have a digital camera.
I was the first person I knew to use Napster.
I was the first person I knew to use bit torrent.
I was not the first person I knew to have a laptop in the house.
I was the first person I knew to have four laptops in the house.
I was the first person I knew to load a blog.
I was the first person I knew to have a blog.
I was the first person I knew to use movie rental-by-mail service (Netflix).
I was not the first person I knew to have a Gmail account.
I was not the first person I knew to have an mp3 player.
I was not the first person I knew to play an MMO.
I was not the first person I knew to have HD.
I was the first person I knew to setup WiFi in the house.
I was not the first person I knew to use an online console gaming service.
I was the first person I knew to listen to podcasts.
I was not the first person I knew to use VOIP phones.

I was the first person I knew to hack an account, way before there was even an Internet. It was high school, I hacked most of the faculty's accounts by guessing the passwords which happened to be their first names. What's funny is I was suspected of doing the hacking but without proof I wasn't prosecuted. What I did get caught for was copying a file from an open network drive to my account, which was very harmless. Faculty just didn't know enough about the systems to realize it was harmless so I got suspended. Go figure. Being suspected of hacking the faculty accounts did not help me there.