Saturday, May 13, 2006

Port or Starboard?

Beware Saturday the 13th! Dun dun duuuuun.

I handed my 15 month old daughter a crayon and some coloring paper the other night. After she tasted the crayon for a few minutes, she would scribble on the paper with the crayon upside down (flat side). No matter how many times I turned it around, she wanted the flat side. This behavior is fine, it's a good sign of creativity. The most creative people are, to borrow the example in story, the ones who do not color in the lines.

There's one thing that caused me to hesitate before turning the crayon over to her though. Which writing hand is she going to use? I was afraid of setting precedent. I let her pick the hand she wanted to use, but I still felt like I was locking her into something that she will have for the rest of her life. It's probably not true that she picks her writing hand at this stage, but it still made me pause. It's also a sign that she's leaving her infanthood behind; a sobering thought.